A film geek’s watching Special-Introducing myself
Well after so much popularity of my corner “A film geek’s watching”. Better if I made an intro to myself.
So I am currently studying in Film in an arts college. Funny enough that I chose that course cuz I am good with theory of Art History and pretty fab drawing skills that most of my classmates said I should be in Arts Management. However I love it so much. To me I see my course as a way to execute my dream job to do film preservation.
Basically how I start watching lots of films because of my old man,he actually encouraged me to watch films because it could develop my skills in the film industry. Along the way I get good with it and I enjoyed watching lots of films.I actually did little reviews before for my anime watching and of course i practice a little bit with my fanblog Need Moar Nura. It’s during the semester break-I started to write reviews of films I watched and there I processed my thoughts of it.So that’s how a film geek’s watching started.
Ok if many asked what is my favourite films/directors or what so ever. I will do it in a list
- Sir David Lean-I started watching one of his films-Lawrence of Arabia (1962),I remember he really mesmerized me with his lush visuals and compelling storytelling. Most of my classmates and lecturers know I am crazy over his works. To me he is a frickin’ genius in film that we sadly lost.
- Wim Wenders: During my foundation course-one of his films was mentioned (Paris,Texas) and of course this film was imprinted on my mind. Here is history bro-I even get to write a paragraph of him on his work on Paris Texas for my New Hollywood essay. I know people said that his later works are terrible but seize that haters-I do believe he did not dwindle down his style.
- Martin Scorsese-Recently I am quite an admirer for his work thanks to my research of New Hollywood for my essay. His films are often thought-provoking and I love how he cares about film preservation. I even strive to be in his foundation!
- Robert Bresson-I just like the way he talked about Christian values without being preachy. Alright his directing style is not what I wanted and his films tend to be pretty slow. To me it was magic when I watched Pickpocket,he just got that magic touch here.
- Jean Luc-Godard: known as the poster boy of FNW besides Truffaut. My fave phrases was from him ;)
- Julie Taymor-Pretty unconventional as she focused most on therate works but if you at Across the Universe-be prepared to be blown away yo~
Films I loved
- Lawrence of Arabia (Oh YES!)
- Across The Universe
- 8 1/2
- Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
- The Graduate
- Le Roi Danse
- La Grande Illusion
- TCON series
- The Godfather
Please be free to leave me any suggestions of films to watch. Thnks ;)